Ohio (Fostoria, OH)


Recently, I asked my parents how old I was when we moved to Ohio. I was born in Columbia, TN and thought I was about 5 when we moved to Ohio. They said I was only three and so it kind of clicked to me that most of my memorable growing up happened (not in the South, as I always think) but in the midwest. My best friend really until almost college was Mark Haubert. He lived on a corn field and I remember going to his house all the time.





So, I decided to go back for a visit. We moved away when I finished 3rd grade and I don't think we went back much after we moved to GA (which happened for 5th grade ... in between was a year in Connecticut). I really want to see those Ohio cornfields again for some reason and the Haubert place (Roger and Alice still live there). So Tara said she was up for it and so we are heading up there for the day on Saturday or Sunday. I think reading the summer fiction (Jayber Crow and Home) has really got me thinking about my past.

SO, I am excited about going to Ohio. Fostoria is below Toledo. All I really remember is how flat it is and cornfields.

Comments

Cameron said…
That's great! I hope it's a good trip of rediscovering your roots.
Jarrett said…
If you are going from Atlanta to Toledo (which should be about a 10-11 hour car ride), then you have to pass through Dayton on I-75. Unless of course you drive all country roads in order to see a bunch of cow pastures and cornfields. In which case you won't be getting there in 11 hours either. But I digress. Our place is right off I-75 in downtown Dayton so you should give me a call if you have a few minutes to pull off the highway and see our place.

Popular posts from this blog

Intellectualized Racism is Still Racism

The Hearth

Lack of Empathy from Liberals