Old poem I found on my door

ITs from a poem I wrote called childhood ... I will post it all for something new to post:

waken, quicken, open and crack
the gulf divides and out of earthy
black comes a new sprout

a dead baby fell upon that ground
once long ago ... there it laid covered
a body in peat moss
preserved and ignored
for thousands of days.

snakes shed their skin,
children their insides.
The shell remains and walks on,
the heart is laid to rest.

the body is heavy from new rain,
swollen in the grave.
maybe the time is now.
when it will rise to the top

not resurrection
just to finally be uncovered.

A choice will be yours,
will you look upon this death?
Will you weep?
Will you take this little one
into your arms
cradling loss?

Christ have mercy on us.

You must become like one of these little ones ...
You must become like one of these little ones ...

His kingdom come, will open dead eyes.
Your shell will find the past unchanged,
but the child alive again
like a new sprout from the dirty old ground
of personal histories.

Comments

Meghan said…
You need to publish a book.

It's a travesty to me that these words aren't being read by more people.

This poem is so rich, I can only take small bites of it at a time. Even now I have to put it away. I'll come back to it later and taste a little bit more.

Well done, Jason.
Marty Reardon said…
That was the dumbest poem I have ever read! ;) Seriously, you are gifted and I love your knack for words. Keep writing.

Popular posts from this blog

Intellectualized Racism is Still Racism

The Hearth

Lack of Empathy from Liberals