ignorant opinions


I don't like Anne Lamott. She is the kind of endless chatty I don't like. The kind that has fourteen million stories about her life and ideas and friends. (Please note as the title says, this is an ignorant opinion ... I write this from reading five pages of one of her books I got from the library yesterday). 


And even as I write that, I remember that I actually do like Anne Lamott. I borrowed Bird by Bird from my sister and read the first 20 pages and thought it was very helpful. 


Let me spin everything around again and take a slight Lamottian tone. I think of myself as too occupied with the contents of books and many abstract notions (not that history is abstract, but it is past). I imagine that if Lamott was at a party she would be surrounded by guests and she would be telling story after story like a grownup shooting ducks at a carnival (assume the distance between shooter and ducks were set for children). And all the stories would be of her experience (insert crazy thing that happened to her, shocking family history or exotic location).  

And precisely when this happens, I would be sitting, slightly annoyed, and unable to think of a single personal story. I don't know why my brain has been trained out of that kind of sharing ... so much so that my memories itself are affected. If I was a character in a bad action/suspense sitcom on NBC there would be an episode where some mad doctor, under duress and torture would somehow open a metaphorical creaky door into a dramatic past that was intentionally hidden from me.  


I hate NBC shows. 


But I am at a loss as to why I am such a dreamer who struggles to engage in my own life, if that is even an accurate assessment. I have lived an interesting life. I have been places. Maybe sharing an ignorant opinion is a start to my being an annoying dominant personality at parties ... 


(Another ignorant opinion you don't want to hear about: I hate The Avett Brothers.) 

Comments

Matt said…
You're on you're way to party domination! Ha, this made me laugh.

Popular posts from this blog

Intellectualized Racism is Still Racism

Lack of Empathy from Liberals

The Hearth