Aaron Henry


When my youngest son, Aaron Henry, was still in utero we had a scare with him. Tara's body was behaving in unusual ways and we were fairly certain that the baby was going to miscarry. A miscarriage is just another word for death and so like any brush with death, it was very scary and very sad. I called my friends and Kris and Marty (was Matt there ... for some reason I don't think so, maybe he was out of town) came over and prayed for our child. I think the prayer was effective or maybe we were misreading the signs ... either way, I don't care. I am glad he is alive. Here is a beginning of a musing/poem about it.

My Kids

Faces ... My wife bore
and gave birth to these little faces.
These funny and precious faces.

My Henry
he hugs in
gritted toothy grins

like a glittering puddle at sunset
all in his tiny smile

Life in this little shape
is sheer gift (all life is).

I saw his death once
before he was born
Broken cries and bleeding

I called my friends
And they came to me
Came and prayed
Came and called Life
Into the void
yawning over Henry.

And life came.

Comments

Candace Smartt said…
Dang, that's a sweet face. Brings joy to my life...

Popular posts from this blog

Intellectualized Racism is Still Racism

The Hearth

Lack of Empathy from Liberals