Maundy Thursday


Lent has been hard for me this year. I have failed often in my attempt at self-denial. More than anything I just feel overwhelmed in my mind and keep letting myself off the hook for discipline using this feeling as my excuse. But all of it has forced me to think about Jesus Christ a lot. He is our King and as our King he came among us to lay down his life. On this night he gave his body and blood away in the bread and wine ... he, as Austin Farrar writes, "has no business left in this world, but to die."

Jesus is at work inside of us this week (and every week). He is at work through his cross. It is a weeping sign for us who are sinners as we look upon those bruises and stripes and wounds. It is a triumphant sign when we look upon his countenance ... He who with his last gasps would pronounce forgiveness over all of us, unite a homeless widow with a friendless son, and welcome a thief into his kingdom. He finished the work.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey Jason:

Just felt I needed to encourage you and let you know that your recent posts have given this reader an insight on the true purpose of Christ's life, work and His passion on this holy week and how it should affect all Christians.

You say that you have failed often at self-denial...however, I say that the work that Christ continues in your life and the maturity that continues in your years is nothing short of how special God sees you in His eyes. Our lives may have failures along the way, but I know that we are not failures, overall, because of the hope that we have in Jesus Christ...not only in His death, but also in His resurrection!

Keep up the good posts--they are a blessing for us to read and to reflect as we continue to strive for intimacy with our God.

Blessings,
Chris
Jeff Luce said…
It's encouraging to hear that Lent was hard for someone else too. I'm still trying to come to terms with what this year's lent season is about for me.
Love it. About to go read the pages you photo-copied for me today (again).
Thanks.
Candace

Popular posts from this blog

Intellectualized Racism is Still Racism

The Hearth

Lack of Empathy from Liberals