Door Quote: Getting my bearings

August 24, 1961

Is it a new country
In another world of reality...
I awoke
To an ordinary morning with gray light
Reflected from the street,
But still remembered
The dark-blue night
Above the tree line,
The open moor in moonlight,
The crest in shadow.
Remembered other dreams
Of the same mountain country:
Twice I stood on its summits,
I stayed by its remotest lake,
And followed the river
Toward its source.
The seasons have changed
And the light
And the weather
And the hour.
But it is the same land.
And I begin to know the map
And to get my bearings.

Dag Hammarskjöld, the 2nd Secretary-General of the United Nations. He died in a plane crash in September of 1961 en route to negotiate a cease-fire. He and fifteen others perished. This is the last entry from his diary that was published after his death.

(I like this because I feel myself lost in a new country and hope to get my bearings soon ... and that I know the map.--jason)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intellectualized Racism is Still Racism

The Hearth

Lack of Empathy from Liberals