"They climbed through rolling grasslands where small birds shied away chittering down the wind and a buzzard labored up from among bones with wings that went whoop whoop whoop like a child's toy swung on a string and in the long red sunset the sheets of water on the plain below them lay like tidepools of primal blood." This kind of unbelievable combination of words and ability to engage and describe is endless in this book. Maybe sometimes it almost seems to rich ... almost, but not quite, sappy. Here is another line just in the next paragraph: "It was raining again and they rode slouched under slickers hacked from greasy half cured hides and so cowled in these primitive skins before the gray and driving rain they looked like wardens of some dim sect sent forth to proselytize among the very beasts of the land." The great literary critic Harold Bloom says this is the greatest american novel by a living novelist, but he also admits that it took him three tr...
I cried in worship today. It happens sometime and is a good thing. Today it was during the newish song from Psalm 103. Even before we sang out the benefits of the Lord, before the line about saving us from the grave, I was crying. I spent a couple of hours with a friend of mine on Thursday. He lives south of Atlanta so we decided to drive until we met ... we ended up in College Park. It was nice day, so I suggested that we find a tree in the graveyard to sit under. We did. The last time I saw him, was at his father's funeral. His dad died at 54. This was his first April 28th without him. He taught his first class at a local College (his first class as a professor) and he couldn't tell his dad about it. He hates it and there is a lot of pain on his shoulders. I was crying because I was thinking about the grave and the cemetery and my friend. I couldn't stop crying, but I could sing. Bless his name, bless his name, bless his holy name. After the service I prayed with two diff...
Comments